« Home | So Why Did I Start a Math Degree, Anyway? » | Final Fantasy Marathon » | Canucks Post-Game Report Template » | Problogue: The Fall of Man (Into the Blogosphere) »

Am I Losing My Personality?


For a while now, this question has been somewhere in the back of my mind. My life has definitely become a bit too formulaic. I tend to see everything as mathematical equations (thankfully, though, not as binormal vectors or linear recurrences). The advantages to this are great, as I mentioned in a previous post; it accounts for efficiency in a lot of areas of life, though I am still not a good decision-maker. Perhaps the only real downside is that life can just get boring when I feel like laws of nature are making decisions for me. Well, I’m also just a more boring person for it. And that certainly isn’t something I foresaw for myself.

I can guess what you’re thinking. But being quiet or shy doesn’t constitute a boring personality. In the past I know that I have been obscure at times, even enigmatic, but I’ve always managed to at least entertain myself. I always got my own droll, subtle, off-the-cuff remarks, and that was enough for me. But even my prepared writing seems to have been lacking the wit I have often displayed spontaneously in the past (people other than myself have occasionally found me funny, too). I think it probably all comes down to the fact that I haven’t been exercising those muscles lately, and I haven’t really found myself in enough social situations to do so. Of course I am going to university away from home, and haven’t done much to make friends here (I don’t like trying—I prefer when it just happens). In fact, I don’t hang out with or really talk to any guys here. Inconceivable! This is coming from a man who never spoke to a girl until high school.

Besides, my being shy has nothing to do with it. I’ve been shy for my whole life, and it hasn’t hindered me in any way from being cool—or uncool, whichever it is that I have been or am trying to be. This summer at work I was often at my wittiest (I just knew I’d think back to that horrible experience with fondness), but that’s because I was around people with whom I was comfortable. To people who intimidated me, and there are many, I was probably just known as the quiet guy.

I have played floor hockey here semi-regularly since September, and I’m pretty sure that I’m known within that group as the guy who doesn’t say anything and always gets frustrated with himself, or maybe as the guy who seems to have lost his scoring touch lately. It probably doesn’t help that one of the other players shares my name. I think I sometimes leave those games disliking my personality, and not even necessarily because I got upset. It’s hockey, and it’s with people who love hockey almost half as much as I do; I should be more sociable and bore myself less. At the same time, though, I am glad that my tacitness sometimes, though not always, prevents me from saying some of the careless things that even respectable people let slip from their lips unnoticed.

Now, since you’ve been subjected to my complaints and stuck it out, here are some things that I do want in my personality:

1. I want to be an honourable yet fierce competitor, without necessarily putting holes in church walls.

2. I want to be the eternal pessimist—“This is the worst day ever: first this happens, and who knows what else might happen”—while remaining the eternal optimist (Vince has promised to draft me with a late-round pick when he becomes an NHL GM. I swear I have it in writing somewhere).

3. I want to be the genius who comes up with such gems as “Dog brings home Stanley Cup,” and the entire “Vote for Thomas” presidential campaign, which was a thousand times better than “Vote for Pedro” or even “Vote for Rory” (thanks go out to my brother, my mom, and James (see attached image at the bottom—whether it made any sense in the campaign is debatable)).

4. I want to be the guy who goes out late at night, grabs McDonald’s, and plays highway soccer with Corey on Manitoba’s #6 (70-stretch for the Thompsonites).

5. I want to be the guy who will quote the The Matrix in its entirety at any given get-together (I realize that I am the only one who wishes this—except maybe Vince…Vince, you reading? Of course you aren’t).

6. I want to be the guy whom people want to always have around, and the guy who earns and keeps their respect over the course of many years.

7. I want to be the guy whose jokes nobody gets, but who gets full entertainment value from them himself—especially when being interviewed for the YC:Fusion testimonial video.

8. I want to be the guy with whom parents want their kids to associate, to be the guy whom they can think of as a role model, and to actually deserve it.

9. I want to make my mom spit out her drink on a student's test paper, that she hasn't yet finished marking, just one more time.

10. I want to try not alphabetizing something, just to see how it feels; but I won’t start with this list.

I wouldn’t normally do this, but I just heard somewhere that you all wanted to read another somber self-reflection piece. You’re welcome.

Labels:

Hello from an overtalker. It is what I do. This was an interesting look into a mind far sharper than my own. It is intersting reading about who you do and don't want to be. We all do that. And most of us wonder who or what we are percieved to be. Anywho, Merry Christmas and safe travel Wes. Give your family my best, and any friends we share.
Ciao,
P.Jason Sheppard

Oh Wesley, you make my heart swell! An eternal pessimist?!? Oh sheesh... I must say though, the characteristics you hope to achieve I already see within you - what a joy and accomplishment that is to have! I'm a huge fan of yours, in many ways! An no, I say you're not losing your personality.

VOTE FOR THOMAS!!!!..man do you have any other picture from that campaign still? Geniuses we were....

Jim of Wally and Jim

Dude... I really don't think I do. If I do, they're on my old computer. I happened to have that one stored on my old tripod account. At any cost, they MUST be recovered. Genius indeed.
"A muscularity contest"... how do you top that?

So i just googled "losing my personality" to see what came up. I'm a psychology graduate and have been slowly getting disillusioned with the world i see around me. I believe i can offer some pieces of advice which in principle may or may not be comforting to hear. Its obvious you regard yourself as a shy person, you are not shy - you just need to feel comfortable like everyone else. It seems to me as though you're stuck in a rut. You need to surround yourself with people you feel comfortable with - starting uni is the perfect opportunity to do that. Get on it. Whatever you do dont get into the habit of devaluing yourself. If your friends dont appreciate you for who you are IN THE WAY YOU WANT THEM TO then you need to make new friends - simple as that. You talk about seeing life as a maths equation. Well, here's an equation for you. (+x)+(-x)=(+y)+(-y). The beauty of this equation is that it can be expressed in infinite ways AND THEY ARE ALL TRUE. Similarly people express themselves in different ways and there is truth in everyone. Find your truth, express it. Order is an illusion you create to keep yourself sane - stop trying to order things so much - go with the flow. Perhaps you should read "the YES man". By far the most telling sentance in your blog was when you said "and I haven’t really found myself in enough social situations to do so." You know this is the cause of your problems - put yourself out there - get rejected and learn from it - OVER AND OVER AGAIN. The more you do it the more stuff you have to randomly talk about next time and before you know it you're not boring anymore :) Perhaps you should stop playing final fantasy (despite it being the best series of computer games ever made). You have more important things to do. Get out there you cunt :)

it's a fucked up game but when the prize and the rules don't exist it's tough to "just have fun." I found many similarities between you and I, in that we both aspire to be things yet we lack direction and reason necessary. With a brilliant mind comes a hefty toll, I've often seen intellectualism as walking through a forest without a map, versus following a map you don't know is fake. So many things are like Santa Claus, good for teaching lessons but at the end of the day there's no fat dude in a red suit and your presents weren't free.
There's no step by step for finding who you are and what you were meant to do, and with a tendency to overanalyze things to the point where you can't wrap your brain around it, you can feel very stuck. But you're not. Every problem, worry, and ounce of stress you've ever experienced is something that you created. Do what you have to do, to get what you want, and realize that nothing you do, say, or buy, will ever become a part of you.

I follow the code: Fuck it, Have fun.

Post a Comment